While baseball may not be in the cards anytime soon, the Fayetteville Woodpeckers have released their COVID-19 Readiness Plan for opening Segra Stadium again for non-baseball events.
The plan includes new restrictions on bags that are allowed in the stadium, cashless payments, ballpark sanitation, entry and exit into the stadium, ticket purchasing, socially distant seating and more. All of the measures the Woodpeckers are putting in place are designed to reduce coronavirus (COVID-19) exposure to event attendees.
“The practices identified below represent practical best efforts to proactively invest and keep our community safe when attending functions, events, and games at Segra Stadium,” the Woodpeckers said in the release. “The outlined steps and initiatives are intended to preserve the safety of staff, players, fans, and guests.”
It is still unknown if Minor League Baseball will hold games this year, as it waits for Major League Baseball to determine the path for its season. In several Facebook comments to ticket holders, the Woodpeckers said they are in a “holding pattern” on how to proceed.
“We have not yet received word from Minor League Baseball or the Houston Astros on whether there will be a season, and as such we are still in a holding pattern overall,” one comment from the team said. “We will absolutely be posting as soon as we have news either way, but for now this guide is intended to inform those who may be interested in attending non-baseball events at the Stadium which we are in planning stages of currently, given safety guidelines and capacity limits of people.”
Some of the Woodpeckers COVID-19 Readiness Plan highlights include:
- For bags, only clear bags will be allowed, with specific restrictions on size and logos.
- The ballpark will be moving toward a cashless payment system.
- Sanitation will be increased throughout the ballpark.
- Everybody entering the stadium may have to go through health screenings.
- Gates will be adjusted to better account for ingress and egress.
- Ballpark capacity will be decreased to create safe socially-distant seating.
- Team store will have limits on number of people shopping at one time.
- No bounce houses will be used this year in kids zone, with increased sanitation for things that are used.
- Should baseball return, no autograph sessions with players will be allowed.
- Players also won’t be allowed to throw baseballs into the stands for fans.
Read the complete plan for the Woodpeckers Segra Stadium COVID-19 Readiness here.